Wednesday 22 December 2010

Talking to Nick






















Nick Entwistle was a year above me at Stockport college and has really helped and inspired me to produce good work. I think that it's good speaking to people like this who have only just left University and are now out there doing it for real in the big bad world.

It's good that I am able to ask him for advice if I am ever stuck on a brief and he always has time to take a look and give good feedback. I really do appreciate this as he knows what it it like just before you leave University and how scary it can be taking that big step.

He has kept me motivated and has shown me similar kinds briefs that he worked on in college and the kinds of things that he produced. I was fortunate enough to ask him a few questions that would benefit not just graduate graphic designers but any graduates leaving university in the creative pathway. It has definitely helped me a lot and made me realise that nothing comes to you, and that you have to work consistently hard to get what you want and to where you want to be. Here are the questions and answers below:

1. What do you feel you have achieved since you’ve left University?

I was lucky enough to have all my hard work at University rewarded with a job before I left, although it was also good as I was able to still study and gain a First degree. I also won a YCN award for a Castrol brief http://awards.ycnonline.com/news/post/09-10-ycn-student-awards-announced/ which was great as I also won a YCN award last year for Berghaus. These achievements can, however, be meaningless if you don't follow them up with hard work and a willingness to continue to learn as when you leave University you are definitely not the finished article.

Therefore the fact that I am still in the same job after 6 months, and being more and more involved with everything that goes on in the agency, is probably one of the most important achievements yet. Having won pitches for the BBC and CUBE Gallery before, it is good to bring that experience into the work place and it is a big achievement to have my ideas recognised and chosen against some brilliant creatives.

Above all the biggest achievement I believe is gaining respect in the industry and workplace. I have worked hard for it and now have some great friends at work and elsewhere in the industry. Being able to enjoy what you do is an achievement in itself. If you don't then it's not for you.

2. What advice would you give to students just before they leave University?

My advice would be to make the most of your contacts. One thing I have learnt since entering the industry is that everyone knows each other. Therefore, one contact could potentially give you ten more. Perhaps they may recommend you if they like your work. The agency where I work was recommended to me by someone I contacted in the industry after speaking to his sister who is a physiotherapist! It goes to show that the industry isn't all doom and gloom like everyone makes it out to be. With a positive attitude you will do well. Just by chance you might get a break like I did.

Keep a clean portfolio up to date and try and show it to as many people as possible. Even people not in the industry as it is the public you will be trying to impress with your work when you enter the industry. Their opinions count too and can be very valuable when finding what works and what doesn't.

Something I struggled with in University was letting go of ideas. You may have 4 or 5 good ideas and develop them all...if you are really honest with yourself you will be able to get it down to at least your 3 best for example. This will save time and make your final work much better.

Always go with your own instincts. Only take other students/tutors comments as advice. It is your own choice to do what you want with those comments. If you receive any negative comments about your work do not take them offensively. If you believe in your ideas enough then persevere with them. It is all too easy to give up on an idea if someone says something bad about it but be strong minded and you will get results. Sometimes you might be wrong and sometimes right but if you don't feel 100% positive about your idea then don't do it. Although you may make mistakes don't make an issue of them. Over the past couple of years people have said a few times to celebrate your mistakes as they make you stronger but my advice would be to forget about them. Don't mention them and focus on all positive aspects of your work as you will appear a lot more competent and confident.

Overall, my best advice would be to always remain positive. There is way too much negativity surrounding the industry. If you are good enough and want it enough it will happen. Too many people came in and spoke about the negatives of the industry when I was at University whereas there are, in fact, a lot of positives if you look on it in a different way like I do. Work as hard as you can and you will get your chance and when you do, take it.

3. Are you happy with what you do now?

I'm very happy with what I do now as the hard work I put in at University has paid off. I am working on a lot of big client accounts and producing some exciting work for the future. It is hard work with strict deadlines but it is work that you enjoy doing. There is something totally different to do every single day. Not many jobs can offer that. Of course I am lucky to have a job that suits me so well so soon but as you come to the end of your degree you should be deciding exactly what you want to do upon finishing your course. You can then focus on contacting people in that specific area. You then have a lot more chance of doing what you want rather than stumbling across something that isn't for you.

4. Where would you like to be in 10 years time?

My agency is winning some big contracts at the moment and growing rapidly so it would be great to work my way up through the company. I'd like to be going on video and photoshoots abroad etc and directing some great advertising campaigns. I would also like to give something back to education by helping people at University to get into industry. Aswell as this I'd like my own businesses to become more successful. Above all I hope to still be happy in what I do.

Hope these answers help you in some way.

Let me know if you need to ask anything else.

Nick

YCN Student Awards 2009/10 Results announced - News - Awards - YCN

awards.ycnonline.com


Here is the link to his website where I have found his work very influential and something that I want to be able to produce as soon as I leave and be able to start adding to it, just as he is doing now.



No comments:

Post a Comment