Monday 9 August 2010

Impact Digital














Even though the owner of Impact Digital is my Uncle, I was still quite nervous to show him my work as he has been doing it for over 25 years. His company is linked with Printing.com which is becoming a huge franchise all over the world, they offer cheap printing but still of a high quality, they are becoming well recognised to big trades.

I asked my Uncle Chris if he could help me use the printing techniques I had learned on the Printing.com course that I had previously been on. So he said yes and I used good quality matte paper and CMYK coloured ink for my portfolio print outs.

Overall, he seemed very impressed with my work and has asked me to come in to his shop to get a bit of experience to when I finish University and get a full time job. I consider myself to be very lucky as it is hard to find some graphics companies that will give you the experience with no qualifications.

I think that the course that my uncle sent me on really helped me understand colour and the way things are managed and printed. Here is a quick Youtube video to show the printing press production below:



Some of the things that my Uncle creates for his clients are:

Designing
Business cards
Showcards
Booklets
Letterheads/ compliment slips
Web design
Leaflets - folded
Leaflets
Packaging
Posters
Advertising
One- piece mailers
Photocopies and many more...

If you have a look at the label on my dashboard you will be able to see the full experience that I had during the 3 day course I had at the main Printing.com head office in Trafford Park.

I asked him the same questions that I asked at Lorraine Rowland Design to see if I got any different answers so that I could compare them, here is what he replied:

1. Where do you find your inspiration/ influences?

We're always looking out for new design ideas, checking out all types of new media including TV advertising etc. Creative Review and the Creative Review Handbook are great resources of new design concepts etc.

2. What do you enjoy most about you job?

Its always nice to see your work being used whether on the web / advertising hoardings / in print. Its most satisfying when the client is happy with the design work and more importantly that it is creating a positive impression of their business.

3. Is there any advice you'd give to graduates just leaving university?

Being able to design is one thing, in some respects its difficult to teach someone to be creative. I would always advise that graduates gain some real experience in their chosen discipline - its counts for a lot to a prospective employer that not only are you creative but that you can see a piece of work through to the finished product. Being able to make your designs work technically and on all levels will greatly enhance your job prospects.

I totally agree with what my Uncle is saying that if you become successful for a portfolio visit then you need to make your work relevant to that company. Also getting experience to help yourself later on in the future would be a massive help.

I just can't wait to now start helping him out on live jobs for certain clients to see how this fast paced industry really does work.

No comments:

Post a Comment